4# Dayton pattern single bit axe with a 36” straight wooden handle. Dayton pattern so named for the Dayton, Ohio area. A full sized felling axe for general axe chores. Cutting edge is approximately 4.75” of overall length and the poll is square. Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge. The serrated shape improves bite size and the aluminum choice of material is strong, lightweight and does not change size with moisture content. The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2" of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and splitting.
- Heat treated cutting edge produces fine grain structure and Rc 45-55 (Rockwell Hardness Values) for safety, edge holding and toughness.
- Body coated with red enamel and the cutting edge in clear lacquer to deter rust.
- 36" straight American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.